Start Learning Vietnamese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

questions and tone change

ajcxyz_1788
New in Town

questions and tone change

Postby ajcxyz_1788 » September 28th, 2017 6:54 am

Hi - I've noticed in the dialogues that the tone of the last word changes in a question, e.g. nào become a rising tone. Is this mentioned in any of the lessons? Are there any rules for this? I.e. do all tones change in the same way? Thanks for any help with this.

community.vietnamese
Been Around a Bit

Re: questions and tone change

Postby community.vietnamese » March 12th, 2018 5:52 am

Hi ,

You are right. When making a question, Vietnamese people tend to put the word order the same in the statement and then raise the intonation at the end of the sentence. In another case for alternative question is a type of question which has a choice of two or more alternatives for the answer. With kind of the question in English, we use “or” between two words, two phraseor two clauses. Moreover, people often raise their voice in words, phrases, or clauses before “or” and
they often lower their voice in those after “or.”
For example: Would you like tea or coffee? -I like tea/coffee/both

Moreover, there is a special thing of wh-question in English; there must be a falling intonation at the end of question and take in to consideration that the intonation of Yes-No question is raised at the end. Yet, in Vietnamese, there is still no intonation for this kind of question.

Hope this helps with your studying! Please let us know if you have more questions!

Thank you!

Khanh.
Team VietnamesePod101.com
Get 40% OFF

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Vietnamese”