Start Learning Vietnamese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

đều

orgulous8500
Been Around a Bit

đều

Postby orgulous8500 » September 13th, 2015 8:23 pm

Thank you for the Beginner series. I am finding it to be quite useful and the dialogues are relevant to what a learner needs to know in Vietnam. I was there for two weeks this summer and many lessons on your site were useful, for example lesson 5 of the Beginner series about giving directions came in handy as well as earlier ones about the same topic. I was hoping they would lose my luggage so that I would get to use lesson four, but sadly the airport had my luggage exactly where it was supposed to be right on time.

I hope you can fit the word đều (all) into a lesson in the future. I have trouble pronouncing it and I was hoping to hear it used in a dialogue because it seems like a useful word to be able to use.

Sincerely,

Clayton Davis

community.vietnamese
Been Around a Bit

Re: đều

Postby community.vietnamese » September 16th, 2015 2:36 am

Chào Clayton Davis,

Thank you very much for your feedback. But I hope you will never lose your luggage :D
Anyway, I'll consider adding "đều" to our sample conversations from now on so that you can practice it more.

Have a nice day,
Giang
Team VietnamesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF
knvpod101_1724
New in Town

Postby knvpod101_1724 » October 12th, 2016 6:29 am

orgulous8500 wrote:Thank you for the Beginner series. I am finding it to be quite useful and the dialogues are relevant to what a learner needs to know in Vietnam. I was there for two weeks this summer and many lessons on your site were useful, for example lesson 5 of the Beginner series about giving directions came in handy as well as earlier ones about the same topic. I was hoping they would lose my luggage so that I would get to use lesson four, but sadly the airport had my luggage exactly where it was supposed to be right on time.

I hope you can fit the word đều (all) into a lesson in the future. I have trouble pronouncing it and I was hoping to hear it used in a dialogue because it seems like a useful word to be able to use.

Sincerely,

Clayton Davis

So, 'đều' just used as a word by itself could also mean 'all'?.

I thought it means 'equally'. As in 'Ngày thường và cuối tuần đều giống nhau ạ?' (Is it the same for both weekdays and weekends? - when asking about opening hours for a shop)

or
Hà và Linh đều là sinh viên. (Hà and Linh are both students)

both yesterday and today are hot (equally hot?) - Hôm qua và hôm nay đều nóng.
all employees are given a bonus - toàn bộ nhân viên đều được thưởng.
I have two older brothers and both are teachers - Tôi có hai anh trai và cả hai anh của tôi đều là Giáo viên.

Seems 'đều' can also be used to compare. I was wondering could 'đều' be used to mean 'is/are' as in

Everything is fine - Mọi việc đều ổn
Everybody is happy - tất cả mọi người đều vui vẻ

Or

all employees are given a bonus - toàn bộ nhân viên đều được thưởng.

knvpod101_1724
New in Town

Postby knvpod101_1724 » October 13th, 2016 3:23 am

community.vietnamese wrote:Chào Clayton Davis,

Thank you very much for your feedback. But I hope you will never lose your luggage :D
Anyway, I'll consider adding "đều" to our sample conversations from now on so that you can practice it more.

Have a nice day,
Giang
Team VietnamesePod101.com

Hi,

Can '(bị) thất lạc' be used interchangeably with 'bị mất'.

'(bị) thất lạc' = to be missing/lost
'bị mất' = lost

Perhaps '(bị) thất lạc' is used when saying 'Cô ấy đã tìm thấy người cha bị thất lạc nhiều năm.' = "She has found her father who had been missing for a long time."

where 'bị mất' is more commonly used for lost objects.

Return to “Vietnamese Lesson Suggestions”