Start Learning Vietnamese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Vietnamese Measure Words?

staskothomas_1693
New in Town

Vietnamese Measure Words?

Postby staskothomas_1693 » February 17th, 2017 1:10 am

Chinese normally uses Measure Words that precede nouns to indicate the number of something. As a historian of the region, who also studies the languages, I have noted several instances where the same thing occurs in Vietnamese. Most notably in colors (màu) and animals (con). The flash cards never take this into account...why is this? The words are always used together, or almost always. To hear and study them in a different form does a disservice to those who learn Vietnamese.

I have written Vietnamese Pod 101 about this situation before and have received no reply. I am therefore trying this method this time. There failure to deal with this issue also prevents the learners of Vietnamese from realizing the possibility that Vietnamese might only be a dialect of Chinese. There is a similarity of around 30% to 广东话, the dialect spoken in the Chinese province on the northern border of Vietnam.

There is also a concern with the consistency of the accuracy of the flashcards...doesn't anyone check them?
Get 40% OFF

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Vietnamese”